Harry Potter reunion without JK Rowling: Was this right?
- J.K. Rowling is best known for being the author of the hit book series Harry Potter, which launched a multi-billion-dollar Warner Brothers franchise.
- The Harry Potter 20th Anniversary: Return to Hogwarts aired on HBO Max on January 1, 2022, as a “retrospective special” with the main cast members, Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, and Emma Watson along with many others.
- Entertainment Weekly reported Rowling was invited to the show, but “her team determined the archived comments from the writer were adequate.”
- Rowling is included in the special via archived footage from 2019, but it is speculated that her absence is related to her politics in regards to transwomen. In The Times, Carol Midgley wrote, “The fact that Rowling isn’t sitting there in the Gryffindor common room [...] with the actors [...] acknowledging what their careers owe to her, seems like a strange and key omission.”
- Rowling, among many other “gender critical” feminists, are often called TERFs - or Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminists. This label is reserved for any person who disagrees with common phrases such as “trans women are women” and “trans men are men,” etc.
The HBO Max's Harry Potter production celebrated the 20th-anniversary special with millions of fans watching. All the major players, including producers, directors, and actors, returned to share their stories and experiences, but JK Rowling—the creator of the Harry Potter universe— was conspicuously absent. There is no question that fans globally have fallen in love with Rowlings' writings, but who she is, in reality, is what has caused many fans to decry the author.
Since 2018, Rowling has been very vocal about transgender people, making transphobic statements in public. Her statements continually belittle trans individuals by focusing on biological sex as the chief matter in deciding gender and have supported other anti-trans people. Her transphobic statements did not do well among the stars of Harry Potter, including main actors Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, and Emma Watson. All three have previously spoken out against Rowling's transphobic statements. Because of this, she was not invited to celebrate the 20th anniversary, however, Rowling's spokesperson claims she was invited but declined.
Regardless of gender, most people agree that transgender individuals deserve human rights, having already suffered painful exclusion in society for decades. Just because a man or a woman feels different about their body does not make it right to make them feel worthless. The world already suffers from discrimination and hate in many facets of life, and the only way to confront it is by supporting transgender individuals. Rowling may be a talented creator, but she has sadly shown herself to be a 'gender racist,' and the Harry Potter cast did the right thing by distancing themselves from her.
Since 2018, JK Rowling has routinely been criticized for making honest and obvious comments about the reality of sex that has upset many aligned with the transgender community. Considering this, it's no surprise that Rowling has declined to attend the Harry Potter reunion. While many disagree with Rowling's opinions regarding feminism and transgenderism, she is still entitled to her own beliefs. The criticism disregards the fact that Rowling's beliefs are motivated by the idea of protecting women who may be made more vulnerable by a world that doesn't see separation or recognize natal females as a protected and distinguished class of human.
Believing in the scientific truth that men and women exist as biologically distinct creatures has led Rowling and other feminists not to be able to further trans ideology that asserts men (or 'transwomen') are women. Rowling had openly stated, 'I know and love trans people,' while bravely maintaining the importance of why speaking up about sex, which beliefs were once commonly held before gender theory took over, are essential in protecting 'the most vulnerable in soceity.'
Regardless of her views, Rowling is still the author and creator of the Harry Potter universe, and she deserves to be a part of its success and reunion without shame. Many fans voiced their sadness over her absence. Rowling not attending in person causes many to remember the unfair controversy surrounding her views, turning what should be a happy reunion event into a political statement. Distancing from Rowling because of her opinions sends the message that she is unworthy of being honored for her success until she conforms to leftist thought. This is not something we should be instilling in the next generation.